Monday, July 4, 2016

Startup.com


I really enjoyed this movie. Surprisingly it kept me on my toes the entire time, even though I already knew how it would end. Although I am sure it was slightly dramatized, it is nice to see something more real than what is normally on TV. The movie was a documentary of the start and finish of govworks.com, a site created by Kaleil and Tom, as well as another guy whose name I cannot remember. The other guy chose to leave the company for a large amount of money, which ended up serving him well in the end. It was created in the middle of the dotcom boom, but unfortunately due to many reasons, its success was short lived. I think that Kaleil was an egotistical jerk but I understand that he was trying to run a company, which I can imagine is a very hard task. I did think that what happened to Tom was very unfair. However, after discussing it further in class, I realized that it was probably necessary. He didn't care about the well-being of anyone else in the company aside from himself and Kaleil. What I perceived as him just trying to remain positive, was actually him being selfish in saying that Kaleil and himself would be fine regardless of what happened with the company. It is sad that govworks.com wasn't able to survive, but at least Kaleil and Tom's friendship was able to. Normally friendship can't last through something that traumatic. Based on that and all the life experience that they gained, I don't think that govworks was a complete loss at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment